This houses an over 6 meters long statue of a reclining Buddha. The statue was unearthed during the excavation of Kushinagar in 1876. Carved from Chunar sandstone, the statue represents the dying Buddha lying on his right side. An inscription below dates the statue to the fifth century AD. The temple stands on the same plinth as the Stupa behind it. As mentioned above, the ruins of this temple and the reclining Nirvana statue inside were discovered by Carlleyl in 1876. By sinking a vertical trench at the centre of its mound he first discovered the great statue in a dilapidated condition lying on a broken pedestal. The temple is about 500 meters away from The Imperial, Kushinagar.